Provides a variety of recovery-oriented services to individuals who desire peer support, in order to improve independence, community integration, and recovery from mental illness and or substance abuse. Services provided by peers (consumers or family members) include a wide range of supports, services, and advocacy that contribute to a client’s ability to engage in ongoing treatment and attain their individualized goals for recovery.
1. Attend all meetings/trainings required by Communicare and the Department of Mental Health.
2. Maintain certification as a Peer Support Specialist.
3. Work collaboratively with other mental health staff.
4. Provide peer support services for assigned individuals receiving services as determined by individual need.
5. Assist in the orientation process for new individuals receiving services.
6. Support individuals receiving services in transition to increase access to and utilization of supports and resources.
7. Transport clients as needed.
8. Improve communication between individuals receiving services and service providers.
9. Improve the team’s understanding of lived experience, recovery, and resilience through modeling personal responsibility, self-advocacy, and hopefulness.
10. Maintain current documentation of services in the individual’s files.
11. Make home/community visits when beneficial to client.
12. Accompany individuals receiving services to appointments as needed
13. Provides crisis supports by listening to the individual and collaborating with the treatment team
14. Support individuals receiving services in taking an active self-directing role in their recovery
15. Adhere to other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or associated Program Coordinator/Director
1. High school Diploma or equivalent.
2. Valid Mississippi driver’s license, personal auto liability insurance, and insurable driving record (if required - discretionary)
3. Identifies self as a current or former mental health consumer with a sustained period of self-directed recovery or be a first-degree family member of a former or current consumer.
4. Ability to successfully complete DMH and Center trainings.
5. Pass a Communicare criminal background check.